The service refers to the interconnection between peers and GRNET's network in layers 1 to 3, and more specifically to matters that deal with the physical interconnection to a GRNET's gate of equipment ,the configuration of logical connections(e.g. VLANs) and their IP numbering(v4/v6). But, in the case of, Power Users what is indicated here is additionally valid.
The service is provided to GRNET's peers, approved by the Directors' Board. See the conditions and the integration procedure.
Supported Interconnection Technologies:For the physical interconnection GRNET supports Ethernet connections exclusively.The speed/mean choices are:
- 10Mbps, with electric (RJ45) interconnection,
- 100Mbps, with electric (RJ45) or optical (multimode 850nm ή singlemode 1310/1550nm, LC connector) interconnection
- 1Gbps, with electric (RJ45) or optical (multimode 850nm ή singlemode 1310/1550nm, LC connector) interconnection
- 10Gbps, with optical (multimode 850nm ή singlemode 1310/1550nm, LC connector) interconnection
Points and Ways of Interconnection: For service provision, the peer needs to acquire a telecommunication circuit in order to connect with a GRNET's point of service. The peer can choose whichever type of service to reach a GRNET's gate. The most common scenarios are:
- Interconnection with GRNET nodes co-located in OTE buildings. This is the most common case. In these cases, OTE can be the only circuit provider. For relatively low speeds (e.g. 2-50Mbps) the use of Metro Ethernet technology is suggested. For higher speeds long-term hiring of dark fibre is suggested.
- Interconnection with neutral providers in GRNET nodes: What is aforementioned is valid, but the circuit can be delivered by another alternative provider. At the moment only one such node is in function, located at NHRF (Vasileos Konstantinou 48 11635, Αthens).
- Interconnection with a GRNET point of presence that is located in a peer of GRNET.In these cases, GRNET has its own optical fibre reaching the area of this peer where ,also, has established terminal equipment. Connections of a third peer with this equipment are allowed by GRNET, but the consent of the peer that hosts the equipment for the passing through of the third peer's circuit, the possible equipment installation, the area access etc. is demanded. This allows the contrivance of more economical solutions in the case of peers vicinity, for example through alternative provider, proprietary fibre, wireless link, xDSL equipment etc. In every case, the circuit from GRNET's equipment to the peer is under the exclusive responsibility and management of the peer.
Finally, it is noted that the direct physical interconnection between a peer and GRNET's network is not necessary. The interconnection of a peer can be deployed as a logical connection through the physical connection of a third peer. Also every peer can hold multiple physical connections with GRNET, either to interconnect different annexes or for the increase of the service availability.
Cost: GRNET does not charge the peer for the gate, the interconnection with the web or for every other of its services that provides. But, the charge for the telecommunication circuit between the peer and GRNET's equipment is paid exclusively by the peer(the cost includes both ends of the circuit).
Logical interconnection: One or more of the logical interconnections (vlans) can be implemented in every physical connection. The logical interconnections can either end up to GRNET's equipment (e.g for web access) or be delivered to other interconnection points of GRNET, thus offering VPN possibility either inside the peer, or with other peers of GRNET.
For logical interconnections that end up to GRNET's equipment the appropriate interconnection networks(/30 for IPv4, /126 for IPv6) are provided.The interconnection networks are intended exclusively for BGP routing deployment between GRNET and its peers and not for NAT use.
Acceptable use policy
- The interconnection networks are exclusively used for BGP routing deployment. The numbering of the peer's servers or NAT use in these addresses is not allowed.
- The mac addresses that is allowed to be announced through logical connections are limited.In the case of VPNs deployment,the logical connections have to be implemented through the routers of the peer.